Listen 🎧 | Think 🤔 | Act 🏋️
MA in Interaction Design
University of Kansas, 2006
MA in the History of Science
University of Oklahoma, 1991
BM in Music Theory
University of Kansas, 1983
BS in Electrical Engineering
Kansas State University, 1977
Interaction Designer and Technical Consultant
Freelance Writer/Designer, 1998 to present
- Designed and maintain the web site for Oscar- and Grammy-winning artist, Randy Newman at RandyNewman.Com.
- Wrote articles for Smart Developer magazine describing various user-interface concepts for software developers.
- Contribute to various short-term projects as they arise.
UI Lead Designer
Shure Incorporated, Niles, IL, 2013 to 2015
- Researched and designed interactions that simplified mobile and desktop management of wireless audio devices and conference discussion systems.
Senior Interaction Designer
Motorola Consumer Experience Design (CXD), Chicago, IL, 2006 to 2009, 2011 to 2013
- Created competitive advantages for Motorola by researching and creating new haptic (touch) and LED lighting experiences for mobile devices.
- Enhanced usability by designing interactions and information architecture (flows, wire frames, mock ups, and simulations) for Android- and Windows-based mobile apps.
Web Prototype Developer/Systems Specialist (part-time)
ALTEC (University of Kansas), Lawrence, KS, 2005 to 2006
- Designed prototype web sites using Plone and Microsoft’s .NET in response to competitive grant-funding opportunities.
- Worked with academic, government, and commercial clients to explore new web-based content-management technologies.
Research Application Interface Developer
Biodiversity Research Center (BRC) (University of Kansas), Lawrence, KS, 2002 to 2005
- Helped the BRC team win a series of NSF grants by designing, coding, and creating content for the BRC’s web sites (e.g. Specify, KU Informatics, and Lifemapper).
- Wrote print-oriented documentation, designed graphics, and supervised contractor work.
User Interface Team Lead
Euronet Worldwide, Leawood, KS, 1999 to 2001
- Boosted sales of Euronet’s integrated transaction-management software products as the UI design lead, crafting demonstration web browser, mobile phone, and PDA interfaces.
- Decreased time to market and enhanced product consistency by managing the documentation and quality-assurance teams.
Senior Technical Writer
Netopia (now Motorola), Lawrence, KS, 1994 to 1997 and 1998 to 1999
- Authored award-winning online help, printed user’s manuals, and technical guides for Netopia’s Timbuktu Pro and Netopia Virtual Office remote control programs (Windows and Macintosh versions).
- Expanded the global reach of Netopia’s products by supervising the localization of the documentation into French, German, Spanish, and Japanese.
Senior Quality Engineer
Intel Corporation, Folsom, CA, 1997 to 1998
- Expanded and centralized access to Intel’s microprocessor QA processes by creating the Product Qualification (PQ) Intel intranet site. The popular PQ web site distributed information about quality standards to Intel’s various product divisions.
- Simplified the microprocessor QA process by developing the VBA-driven PQTool. The PQTool took a product’s description and determined which QA rules were necessary for that particular product.
Product Manager, Sound Designer, and Hardware Engineer
Gulbransen, San Diego, CA, 1993 to 1994
- Designed, documented, managed the production of, and created MIDI demonstration sequences for Gulbransen’s electronic music products.
- Developed the sounds for Gulbransen’s General MIDI chip set.
Technical Director and Senior Music Editor
PianoDisc, Sacramento, CA, 1991 to 1993
- Specified the user-experience and musical-performance parameters for PianoDisc’s successful microprocessor-controlled player piano systems.
- Managed PianoDisc’s hardware and software production.
- Created and edited MIDI demonstration sequences.
Publications (Partial List)
- RandyNewman.Com, 2004 to date.
- Various user-interface articles for Smart Developer magazine, 2010 – 2011
- Scott Downie, “Motion Picture Moods For Geeks and Non-Musicians: An Automated, Intelligent Music-Generation System” (master’s thesis, University of Kansas, 2006).
- The user manual and online materials for the University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center’s “Specify” collections-management software, 2002 – 2005.
- Scott Downie, “Multimedia” (chapter) in “Windows 98 Professional Reference” (1998, New Riders).
- Scott Downie, “Working with MIDI” (chapter) in “Windows 98 Multimedia: Lights! Camera! Action!” (1999, Que Corporation).
Products (Partial List)
- Shure’s Digital Conference Systems, 2015
- Shure’s Wireless Workbench, 2014
- Motorola’s Moto X phone, 2013
- Motorola’s AURA luxury phone, 2008
- Motorola’s ROKR E8 music phone, 2008
- Motorola’s U9 phone, 2007
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center’s “Specify” collections-management software, 2002 – 2006
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center’s “Lifemapper” data-visualization project, 2002 – 2005
- Various Euronet online banking solutions, 1999 – 2001
- Gulbransen’s electronic musical products (MIDI keyboards and General MIDI chip sets), 1994
- PianoDisc’s PDS-128 player-piano system, 1993
- Society for Technical Communication’s 1998-1999 Technical Publications Competition (Denver chapter):
- Distinguished Award for the Timbuktu Pro 4.8 Macintosh Apple Guide online help
- Merit Award for the Timbuktu Pro 4.8 Macintosh printed Getting Started Guide
- Achievement Award for the Timbuktu Pro 4.8 Macintosh printed At-a-Glance card
- Society for Technical Communication’s Merit Award for the Timbuktu Pro 3.0 (Macintosh) Apple Guide online help, 1996-1997 Technical Publications Competition (Kansas City chapter).
- Society for Technical Communication’s Distinguished and Best of Show Award for the Timbuktu Pro 1.1 (Windows) online help, 1995-1996 Technical Publications Competition (Kansas City chapter).
- Kansas City Kansas Community College’s Outstanding Service Award for Teaching, 1987.
- University of Oklahoma History of Science Department’s Rockefeller Foundation Program Graduate Assistant, 1988-1989 and 1989-1990 academic years.
- Norman Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce’s John H. Patten Memorial Scholarship, 1989.
- Keynote, Sketch, Hype, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, OmniGraffle, content-management systems, wikis, MS Office, Logic Pro, and others
Languages, and Scripts
- Interaction design, audio, haptics, music, technical writing, project management, education