University of Kansas, 2006
University of Oklahoma, 1991
MA in the History of Science
University of Kansas, 1983
Kansas State University, 1977
BS in Electrical Engineering
Freelance Writer/Designer, 1998 to present
Interaction Designer and Technical Consultant
- Designed and maintain the web site for Oscar- and Grammy-winning artist, Randy Newman at
- Wrote articles for
Smart Developer magazine describing various user-interface concepts for software developers.
- Contribute to various short-term projects as they arise.
Shure Incorporated, Niles, IL, 2013 to 2015
UI Lead Designer
- Researched and designed interactions that simplified mobile and desktop management of wireless audio devices and conference discussion systems.
Motorola Consumer Experience Design (CXD), Chicago, IL, 2006 to 2009, 2011 to 2013
Senior Interaction Designer
- Created competitive advantages for Motorola by researching and creating new haptic (touch) and LED lighting experiences for mobile devices.
- Enhanced usability by designing interactions and information architecture (flows, wire frames, mock ups, and simulations) for Android- and Windows-based mobile apps.
ALTEC (University of Kansas), Lawrence, KS, 2005 to 2006
Web Prototype Developer/Systems Specialist
- Designed prototype web sites using Plone and Microsoft's .NET in response to competitive grant-funding opportunities.
- Worked with academic, government, and commercial clients to explore new web-based content-management technologies.
Biodiversity Research Center (BRC) (University of Kansas), Lawrence, KS, 2002 to 2005
Research Application Interface Developer
- Helped the BRC team win a series of NSF grants by designing, coding, and creating content for the BRC's web sites (e.g. Specify, KU Informatics, and Lifemapper).
- Wrote print-oriented documentation, designed graphics, and supervised contractor work.
Euronet Worldwide, Leawood, KS, 1999 to 2001
User Interface Team Lead
- Boosted sales of Euronet's integrated transaction-management software products as the UI design lead, crafting demonstration web browser, mobile phone, and PDA interfaces.
- Decreased time to market and enhanced product consistency by managing the documentation and quality-assurance teams.
Netopia (now Motorola), Lawrence, KS, 1994 to 1997 and 1998 to 1999
Senior Technical Writer
- Authored award-winning online help, printed user's manuals, and technical guides for Netopia's Timbuktu Pro and Netopia Virtual Office remote control programs (Windows and Macintosh versions).
- Expanded the global reach of Netopia's products by supervising the localization of the documentation into French, German, Spanish, and Japanese.
Intel Corporation, Folsom, CA, 1997 to 1998
Senior Quality Engineer
- Expanded and centralized access to Intel's microprocessor QA processes by creating the Product Qualification (PQ) Intel intranet site. The popular PQ web site distributed information about quality standards to Intel's various product divisions.
- Simplified the microprocessor QA process by developing the VBA-driven PQTool. The PQTool took a product's description and determined which QA rules were necessary for that particular product.
Gulbransen, San Diego, CA, 1993 to 1994
Product Manager, Sound Designer, and Hardware Engineer
- Designed, documented, managed the production of, and created MIDI demonstration sequences for Gulbransen’s electronic music products.
- Developed the sounds for Gulbransen's General MIDI chip set.
PianoDisc, Sacramento, CA, 1991 to 1993
Technical Director and Senior Music Editor
- Specified the user-experience and musical-performance parameters for PianoDisc's successful microprocessor-controlled player piano systems.
- Managed PianoDisc's hardware and software production.
- Created and edited MIDI demonstration sequences.
PUBLICATIONS (Partial List)
- RandyNewman.Com, 2004 to date.
- Various user-interface articles for Smart Developer magazine, 2010 - 2011
- Scott Downie, "Motion Picture Moods For Geeks and Non-Musicians: An Automated, Intelligent Music-Generation System" (master's thesis, University of Kansas, 2006).
- The user manual and online materials for the University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center's "Specify" collections-management software, 2002 - 2005.
- Scott Downie, "Multimedia" (chapter) in "Windows 98 Professional Reference" (1998, New Riders).
- Scott Downie, "Working with MIDI" (chapter) in "Windows 98 Multimedia: Lights! Camera! Action!" (1999, Que Corporation).
PRODUCTS (Partial List)
- Shure's Digital Conference Systems, 2015
- Shure's Wireless Workbench, 2014
- Motorola's Moto X phone, 2013
- Motorola's AURA luxury phone, 2008
- Motorola's ROKR E8 music phone, 2008
- Motorola's U9 phone, 2007
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center's "Specify" collections-management software, 2002 - 2006
- University of Kansas Biodiversity Research Center's "Lifemapper" data-visualization project, 2002 - 2005
- Various Euronet online banking solutions, 1999 - 2001
- Gulbransen's electronic musical products (MIDI keyboards and General MIDI chip sets), 1994
- PianoDisc's PDS-128 player-piano system, 1993
- Society for Technical Communication's 1998-1999 Technical Publications Competition (Denver chapter):
- Distinguished Award for the Timbuktu Pro 4.8 Macintosh Apple Guide online help
- Merit Award for the Timbuktu Pro 4.8 Macintosh printed Getting Started Guide
- Achievement Award for the Timbuktu Pro 4.8 Macintosh printed At-a-Glance card
- Society for Technical Communication's Merit Award for the Timbuktu Pro 3.0 (Macintosh) Apple Guide online help, 1996-1997 Technical Publications Competition (Kansas City chapter).
- Society for Technical Communication's Distinguished and Best of Show Award for the Timbuktu Pro 1.1 (Windows) online help, 1995-1996 Technical Publications Competition (Kansas City chapter).
- Kansas City Kansas Community College's Outstanding Service Award for Teaching, 1987.
- University of Oklahoma History of Science Department's Rockefeller Foundation Program Graduate Assistant, 1988-1989 and 1989-1990 academic years.
- Norman Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce's John H. Patten Memorial Scholarship, 1989.
- Motorola Consumer Experience Design's first "Mr. Sunshine" award, 2007.
- Keynote, Sketch, Hype, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, OmniGraffle, content-management systems, wikis, MS Office, Logic Pro, and others
Languages, and Scripts
- Interaction design, audio, haptics, music, technical writing, project management, education
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) + SIGGRAPH
- Institute of Electrial and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Society for Technical Communication (STC)
- History of Science Society (HSS)
- Audio Engineering Society (AES)